Have you ever had to give someone news that you knew would break their heart? How did you build up the courage?
Have you ever had to give someone news that you knew would break their heart? How did you build up the courage?
I remember when I was younger I decided to sneak out from my house to go hangout with a group of “friends” at the moment. I knew If I got caught sneaking I would get in a lot of trouble but at the moment I just wanted to have fun. I snuck out to go to a party and there was a lot of underage drinking, we were all under eighteen. I was sixteen, almost close to turning seventeen. Everything was fine until many fights started to happen which caused a lot of noise and out of nowhere the cops showed up at the house party we were at. A couple of cop cars showed up to the house and some kids were able to run away but the rest of us couldn’t. The cops shut down the party and shouted “nobody is leaving until each of your parents come and pick you guys up”. At the moment I knew I was done. I knew I was going to get in trouble for drinking and for sneaking out. I was mostly scared because I was somewhere I never asked permission to go to and because my parents thought this whole time I was home sleeping. I refused to call my parents because I knew giving them the news of me being out at a party and having them come pick me up because the cops are holding us was going to break their hearts.
I was thinking of staying quiet and leaving with one of my friends' parents but regardless they were going to find out by the parent. My parents always said “If you do something bad, I would rather hear it from you than from someone else.” I saw kids leaving and some parents seemed upset while yelling at them which made me feel more scared but I just had to. I kept talking to myself, “just call them, get it over with” “it’ll be okay eventually” “they can possibly forgive you since this was the first time”. I built the courage to call and give them the news by telling myself that everything will be fine. I called my mom, no answer. I was aiming for my mom because it was a bit less scarier than my dad. I called my dad and he picked up. I started to tell him everything and he was going off on me about trust and how careless I am. I remember seeing my parents face when approaching me and it even broke my heart too because I could imagine how they were both feeling. My cop spoke to them about the party, underage drinking and the fights that were happening. They told them it was a dangerous party where people could have gotten hurt because of the violence there was. I got a long lecture on my way home but at the same time my parents were in a way glad I called them instead of trying to get away with it. Building courage to give someone not so great news was the hardest but the sooner we say it, the better.
I see that we both had the same reaction when we realized we had to fess up, we talked ourselves through it in order to build up the courage.
ReplyDeleteHi Thalia!
ReplyDeleteI see we both have experienced the same thing! Only difference is I was purchasing something with a former best friend of mine that was up to no good! Therefore, I ended up being a accomplice to something way bigger. What was supposed to be us "doing a project" for school turned out to be something else. Being that I grew up in a Caribbean household, even though I told the truth, and still got my butt whooped but I learned my lesson. Sometimes confession of what we know is wrong can scare us into not wanting to tell the truth because of consequences.
Hi Thalia! I can understand your fear of not wanting to call your parents in that situation, especially because you were so much younger and the thought of being busted by the cops is almost as scary as being busted by your parents. I agree that it is always better to come clean ourselves than for the news to be shared by someone else. The positive takeaway from this event is that you were able to build up the courage to do the right thing and come clean.
ReplyDeleteHi Thalia!
ReplyDeleteParents will be reprimanded when we confess to our children. But if they find out later that we lied, they will be even more angry. It is a very brave act to have the courage to confess when you already know the consequences.
Hi Thalia! I myself have experienced moments when I needed to fess up to my parents, of course those were scary moments in life. Although having been able to build up the courage, such as you did my parents and I were able to create good communication! It's always better to hear the truth than tell I lie! :)
ReplyDeleteHi Thalia! I love how you included the moment where you had to call your parents. It can be difficult to face our parents in moments like those because we believe that they have a different image of us and have higher expectations. I went through something similar with my mom but it blossomed into my mom and I communicating better than ever before.
ReplyDelete