The author gives credit to mentors that forced him to get serious about his behavior. Do you have a mentor? How have they helped you this far?

 




Do you have a mentor? How have they helped you this far?


    I have a mentor who has helped me throughout this semester with all my classes and any questions I have had. She is actually my advisor, her name is Leslie and she is honestly the best. We usually have zoom meetings once or twice every month to check up on how I have been doing and if there is anything she can help me with. I have met her in person once and the way she speaks to me and the patience she has just shows that she genuinely cares about the students. She helps me plan out how to keep my assignments in check but aside from that she asks how I am mentally and emotionally. I am a full time student and have a full time job which can create a lot of stress and feeling overwhelmed half of the time. She has guided me in the right path in order to accomplish my goal which is to graduate next may 2024. I was a bit off track before I got to know my mentor, I wasn’t sure how many credits I needed to graduate nor if I had completed all the classes that I was supposed to yet; I was lost. The first zoom meeting I had with my mentor made me realize that I wasn’t on top of school as I should have been. By that I refer to making sure that I had taken all the courses I needed before entering my last year of college. 
    As we spoke, I didn’t know that I still had some general ED classes that I needed to complete but she was able to tell me and even help me register for some to take in the summer and next fall semester. She told me I had to pass all my classes this semester in order to not fall behind and suggested I find ways to balance school with work the right way. I knew I had to change the way I managed things; that same day I remember going to buy a planner to write down all my assignments on their due date to help me focus on doing them accordingly. I remember also being confused one day because of my credits and I wasn’t sure what I was missing in order to have everything ready for my upcoming year as a senior and she helped me break down all my classes; while letting me write down all the classes I need and how many credits I should have. We spent about an hour for two zoom meetings trying to figure out the easiest plan for me to follow and it was a bit challenging for my mentor because I was very confused at first and didn’t understand much until she took me step by step to clear out all my doubts. I feel like I can handle everything but at the same time I’m thankful that I have a mentor who doesn’t give up on me and motivates me at each zoom meeting to keep pushing through my classes. I believe sometimes all a person wants to hear is “I’m proud of you” or “keep going, you got this” and I’ve heard that from her multiple times and it does feel good. My mentor has helped me set my priorities straight and be more dedicated to my classes.

Comments

  1. I love that you also found someone to guide you through this years semester, last semester my academic advisor was also my life coach because we got to know each other on a personal level she helped me through a lot as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thalia,
    Thank you so much for sharing your story about how you found someone to guide you through those tough times during the semester. If it's any area in our lives that we need the most support its definitely school. Most times, people may think it's absurd having someone help you live YOUR life and needing guidance. However, it is the smartest choice because there is always going to be someone out there who would have more wisdom to impart to us than we ourselves already know. Mentors guide, not control. Very nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that you have such a great mentor! Leslie sounds like she really is great at what she does, and she has made your college experience at NJCU that much better! You are lucky to have a good mentor like her to help guide you through the confusing times that college can bring. I wish you the best of luck in your further endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really great to hear that your advisor helps you so much. I know I would love to have a mentor that could help me through all these questions I constantly have. Sometimes I feel the same, I think I am on track but then find out I am not. Then i go into full panic mode, and have no one to really speak to when it comes to these things. Being a first generation college student for my family comes with many challenges since we have no one at home to help us understand all of these challenges. You are extremely lucky to be able to confide and have so much faith in your advisor that is helping you through all your hardships. I wish you all the best, and am glad to hear that you are on the right track now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so amazing to read! I loved how you were able to build such a tight knit relationship with someone who was able to help you get through school!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading this. It's weird that sometimes most of us don't need someone to guide our lives all the time, but what's great about it is that supports from a mentor or an advisor, we can stay focused on our careers, gain confidence and attain our goals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Thalia,
    Thank you for sharing! Often, we feel ashamed relying on others or asking for assistance, when we shouldn't! We aren't perfect nor do we know everything, that is what life is about learning whether it is from yourself or others. Being able to rely on someone to help you navigate through these challenging times is very important for us. Although some people may think that it's odd to ask for help from someone, when having someone to guide you is a smart choice. There are countless people out there who can provide us with valuable advice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a very touching blog post, I am glad to see that you were able to make such a connection with your advisor. The fact it comes from a relatable place, going to college, is also an interesting aspect considering some, like myself, may list family members, friends or other people as our mentors or people we look up to. I loved this so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1st blog

Have you ever had to give someone news that you knew would break their heart? How did you build up the courage?